Senior Database Administrator (01)
Senior Database Administrator (01)
The Ministry of Health (MoH) Cooperative Agreement supported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) aims at supporting the strengthening of the Ministry’s capacity to provide leadership to the national HIV/AIDS response through coordination, policy development, mentorship and training. MoH seeks to recruit suitably qualified and experienced persons to be appointed to the under listed positions under this project.
Job Title: Senior Database Administrator (01)
Reports to: Principal ICT Officer
Location: Ministry of Health Headquarters, Lusaka, Zambia.
The Senior Database Administrator will provide strategic direction to and oversight of all aspects of database administration for the Ministry of Health while ensuring transparency, accountability and effective use of resources in the outworking of Data Modernization Project under the Ministry of Health.
• Install, monitor and troubleshoot SQL Server, Postgres and MySQL packages in production, development and test environment
• Install, monitor and troubleshoot databases and all database objects relating to SmartCare, HMIS and other applications
• Ensure the implementation and maintenance of database standards
• Implement and enforce security of all databases
• Tune the database regularly for performance
• Backup, restoration and archiving of databases and database objects
• Ensure replication of database and software to disaster recovery site and ensure that they are in Sync with DC;
• Periodically switch operations between DC and DR site;
• Ensure 100% av cv availability, reliability and maintainability of DC and systems;
• Proactively monitor and recommend capacity augmentation and system upgrade;
• Track issues with hardware and software and networks and escalate to management/ partners when necessary;
• Maintain and update production documentation that accurately reflect any change.
• Monitor server performance and systems logs for all servers hosting critical MOH systems
• Proactive identification of technologies and products that will open up new opportunities and enable systems to be inter-operable
• Effectively undertake the planning for and testing of disaster recovery plans
• Effectively undertakes the design and/or implementation of system databases and the data warehouse as per system requirements.
• Effectively undertakes the maintenance tasks on the Data Warehouse and other system databases to ensure availability of service.
• Undertake the extraction of data from various system databases to Ministry of Health programs and support decision making.
• Full Grade 12 School Certificate with Five O Level Credits Including English and Mathematics
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent ICT related field
• Certification in Database Development and administration or equivalent will be an added advantage.
• MTA, MCSA, MCSE or related database development or administration Certifications
Experience and Skills
• Proven experience developing desktop and mobile applications
• Experience working with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
• Great attention to detail
• Organizational skills
• An analytical mind
How to Apply
All interested persons meeting the above qualifications and experience should send their written applications to the undersigned with certified copies of their National Registration Card, academic and professional qualifications and a detailed Curriculum Vitae with three references including their contact numbers.
Applicants are advised to clearly indicate the position they are applying for on the envelope or subject area in the case of electronic applications email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday, 18th January, 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Permanent Secretary – (Technical Services)
Ministry of Health
P.O. Box 30205